Making a shrunken head for Halloween is fun and it only takes a few items to get started. To create a shrunken head you need just a few items. Gather up an apple, granny smith, red delicious, whatever, pretty much any apple will work. The basic steps for making a shrunken head from an apple are: remove the skin, coat with lemon juice, carve features, soak in saltwater, let shrink for 2 weeks, decorate with optional features. See it’s so easy anyone can do it. Plus if you really mess up you can always eat the apple!
Keys to Hermit Crab Survival:
- Keep temperature inside tank between 72-85°F.
- Humidity should be between 70-80%.
- You must use de-chlorinated water for your crabs fresh and salt water.
- Salt water (1 tsp. non-iodized salt per cup of water)
- Commercial food should be supplemented with fresh foods, like those listed below.
- There must be enough sand for you largest hermit crab to burrow and molt.
- Give each of your crabs two extra shells.
- Friends – hermit crabs are very social animals and do really well when they have lots of friends.
Materials needed for your habitat:
- Tank with lid
- Shelter/hiding places
- Materials to climb on
- Tank heater
- Food dish
- Salt water dish
- Fresh water dish
- Salt (non-iodized)
Tips for maintaining your habitat:
- Change food every other day to prevent mold growth.
- Spot clean tank every other day.
- Every three months change the sand, you can buy new sand or you can bake the old sand to sterilize and clean it (350°F for 30 minutes).
- The water dishes should be deep enough for the crabs to soak in but not so deep that they can’t crawl out.
- The sand should be the consistency of sand used to make sand castles.
- If your tank’s humidity gets too low you can take a squirt bottle and spray the tank down with de-chlorinated water.